While there are no new or redesigned cars in the FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) fleet for 2020, there are a number of notable updates to existing ones … along with a deletion. Covered here are the corporation’s automotive makes; Jeep, Ram Trucks, and Ram Commercials are covered in a separate post.
There’s a lot new in the redesigned 2020 GMC Sierra Heavy Duty pickups, but five things stand out:
- Maximum towing capacity of the 1-ton 3500 has been raised an astounding 52 percent to an equally astounding 35,500 lbs.
- For those who tow – and GMC says 93% of heavy-duty pickup buyers do – the Sierra offers up to 15 different camera views, including remote cameras that can “see” inside of and behind the trailer.
- Buyers opting for the 6.6-liter Duramax turbodiesel engine – which most do – will find it’s now mated to an Allison 10-speed automatic transmission.
- All models are available with GMC’s exclusive MultiPro tailgate.
- Newly available is a large, multi-color head-up display, along with a rearview camera that can project its image into the rearview mirror (which keeps things like rear-seat passengers or tall cargo in the bed from blocking your view straight back).
Okay, maybe that’s six things. And yet there’s still more.
While the annals of automotive history will remember Acura as the first Japanese luxury nameplate to make its mark in the U.S., those with a penchant for racing will remember it for something more…exciting.
Since its introduction for 2007, the Nissan Versa’s claim to fame has been that it was often the least expensive new vehicle on the market. So the biggest question going into the preview for the redesigned 2020 model in Nashville was, “Will it remain so?”
It’s probably not a stretch to say that the Outback is what put Subaru on the map. Introduced for 1995 as an SUV-flavored trim level of the Legacy wagon, it was soon upgraded to its own model, and sales have seen a steady climb since. Today – as for many years – it is Subaru’s best-selling vehicle.
For 2020, Subaru ushers in the sixth generation of the Outback. With it comes greater rear-seat and cargo room, some new features, and the return of a turbocharged engine. Also added is a new Onyx trim level that carries black wheels and trim along with special StarTex water-repellent upholstery.
When Hyundai says the new midsize, 8-passenger Palisade is aimed at families … they really put their money where their mouth is.
Ford says that one big reason its redesigned 2020 Explorer was switched from a front-drive platform to a rear-drive-based one was to improve front/rear weight balance and thus handling … and that’s largely to appease departments that use the Police Interceptor version for law enforcement.
And a lot of departments use them for law enforcement.
When introduced as an early 1999 model, the Lexus RX 300 became the first “premium” crossover, setting the stage for many to follow. It quickly became the company’s best-selling vehicle, something it continues to be to this day.
In its last full redesign, the 2016 edition went wild. Smooth, rounded styling was replaced by sharp creases and swooping curves, and numerous new high-tech features were added.